Russet Armor Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russet Armor Protection

I have a Saotome Do and Kabuto that are russet finish. Both are starting to get patches of new rust on them. I live in Orlando FL so lot's of humidity, even in my climate controlled house. I know the rust forms the planned protective finish but new active rust is bad I assume? Do I use sword oil and lightly coat it or renaissance was like I would on European armor or nothing? I know it's somewhat like sword tangs which you are never supposed to treat but I'm concerned the active rust will start to do long term damage.

What is the best way to inhibit new rust without damaging the existing rust finish or many other not metal parts?

Sean Zapara - FL, USA

Use Ian's special oil treatment, lasts for years.
    David Thatcher
    Professional Armour Restoration (Katchushi Koubou)
    Web: http://www.yoroi.uk
    Facebook Group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Samuraiarmour/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raimu_gallery_uk/

Comment

Good stuff. I'll second that.
      (Experiment on less valuable objects first! Be careful to use a fine brush along the edges in proximity to other materials such as silk.)

Which reminds me, I have just moved one particular helmet to a drier room! Thanks.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Dave , What is the Ian s special oil treatment ??
        .Laurent

Comment

Boiled Linseed oil mixed with white spirit. I use about 3 part oil with 1 part spirit. Mix it good. Like Piers said, use a small brush and apply sparingly. Afterwards use a piece of cloth to wipe off any excess liquid that’s left on the surface. If not it dries into unattractive ”cakes” on the russet.
          The whole process is really easy. I often repeat the process within a week to make sure the russet surface is completely covered.
          It will darken the russet somewhat, but that just add to the beauty of the russet.
          Again as Piers said, be careful not getting the mix in contact with textiles etc.
          Good luck!

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

Sean it could be interesting if you decide to use the technique of Ian ,Dave,Piers ,Jan... if you can take some photos before and after end result..i have never use this technique, different color before after im curious to watch it...litle difference , really darken ?!

.Laurent
            ..France
            Last edited by gui; 06-29-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Here´s a before and after picture from a russet kabuto I gave some TLC to, a couple of years ago.

The russet comes alive and it is protected. A good combo, in my book.

Jan

Jan - Sweden

Comment

I use it 50/50, shake the bottle, wipe it on, and then off again. Allow drying for 3 days.

Bye.

31265376_10155300589502190_4532924865203666944_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fe5f443587c8d2146a2ea1d99091773f&oe=5B9E3DDF.jpg

31170394_10155300589422190_4743886980109041664_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ac6491a26b7ca5ba838551ea019f2ef5&oe=5BB31928.jpg
                David Thatcher
                Professional Armour Restoration (Katchushi Koubou)
                Web: http://www.yoroi.uk
                Facebook Group:
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/Samuraiarmour/
                Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raimu_gallery_uk/

Comment

I'll do before and after pictures. It will be a while I just had 3 large projects dropped in my lap and I have a few other projects that need attending to. Does the type or flash grade of mineral spirits matter?
                  Sean Zapara - FL, USA

Comment

Is this ok on Tsuba?
                    Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

I’m sure it works in tsuba, Malcolm. But I’ve been told to not mess with the finish of a tsuba. But if you need to stop the surface from degenerating, why not.

Jan
                      Jan - Sweden

Comment

Merci for the photos i now understand well 👍
                        ..Laurent
                        France

Comment

Laurent, If you have active rust spots, better remove them first. Simply get a piece of bone or deer antler shaped like a chisel. Apply the oil mixture and use your bone chisel to lift off the red rust, wiping away any that does come off with a rag or tissue. Enough oil mixture will remain after this to seal the surface.
                          Ian Bottomley
                          Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

Ian , actually i don t have rust problems but its interesting talking this oil mixture..for my knowledge ...thank you very much for the details apply..if one of my koboshi or other need in the future i will use 👍
                            Sincerely
                            .Laurent
                            ..France

Comment

Just had a friend mix me up some of Ian's special sauce so to speak. Hopefully will have time to try t out in the next week of two.
                              Sean Zapara - FL, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X