Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last buy of 2019 and the first for 2020!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last buy of 2019 and the first for 2020!

As you all know, the first buy of the year is supposed to be an auspicious occation and something not treated lightly.
    But before we get ahead off ourselves (my first buy of 2020 is currently in transit) let’s see what we mustered as a last buy for 2019.
    Here’s my last for 2019 that arrived today but was bought and paid for last year.
    Perhaps someone cares to guess what it is? Piers is not allowed to answer 🙂🙂🙂
    As for 2020 I got off to a very good start 🙂 More about that later on.
    Don’t be shy, Gents!

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Hi Jan, I reckon it is a stoneware tile for resting a hot Tetsubin.

I am not sure what it is called, Kamashiki came to mind, but I have only seen them as circular Rattan mats.

The drip glaze looks like the green that you get with Oribe wares, but the Karakusa and blossom inset motif is perplexing me.
    Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

For an ‘off-the-top-of-me-‘ead’ answer Malcolm, that is pretty impressive.
      Bowing low
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Well done, Malcolm! You pretty much nailed it. There are several names for it but I think Shiki-ita is quite common.
        As you all can see it’s mostly associated with Chanoyu. But of course it can be used for tetsubin or similar items.

Malcolm, your question about the floral motif is valid and luckily I have the answer.
        This type of tiles originates, as most things, from China. In Japan they were first used as floor tiles in Zen temples.
        Later on, they began to be used in gardens as decorations in the flower beds. Hence the reason why they are only glaced half way. The unglaced part was placed under ground. The flower motif is also connected to their garden origin.
        During the Momoyama period, the tile gained popularity amongst tea masters. Furuta Oribe is known to have been a creative man, so he gave the tile his ”mark” of green colours in varied design. But there are tiles from several areas of Japan, so the design varies.
        The tile that just entered my collection (on the picture) is Edo period. After consulting my ceramic friends in Japan, it might even be early Edo. Measures about 18x18 cm and weighs just over 2kg.

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Malcolm
          Malcolm commented
          Editing a comment
          It's delightful, and thank you for the explanation.

• Jan Pettersson
          Jan Pettersson commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s all in the details, Malcolm 🙂

Soo, any ”late” buys of 2019, Gents?
        It doesn’t need to be a Saotome kabuto. My tile cost me JPY3500:- but is already very dear to me. It’s often the small things that holds the biggest secrets...

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
          Teppotai commented
          Editing a comment
          Jan, I have heard that a single tile can run from 10,000 to 15,000 JPY. Sounds as if you got yourself a bargain there.

Hi,

Last 2019 buy for Jan, first 2020 lesson for me....
        I had really no idea what it was. Thanks for sharing.

Now I'm waiting to see more about Jan's first 2020 buy !
        Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

Daniel; the perfect ”buy” is when you get an item that you want for whatever reasons and then on top of that, further your understanding of that item.
          I didn’t know much about these tiles a month ago. But during my ”pre-buy” research I added some grain of knowledge, which I added upon when Piers supplied me with some useful Japanese links, where some true gold was found.

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Jan,
            I fully agree with you about that notion of "perfect buy", I will add something : sharing point of views and exchanging ideas with others (via forums or when meeting people) is something that matters to me and greatly adds to the pleasure of collecting.

Here my last acquisition (in fact a birthday present) in 2019!

IMG_0005.jpg

Some brain food.....
          Last edited by Uwe; 01-03-2020, 07:17 PM.
          Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

• Teppotai
            Teppotai commented
            Editing a comment
            A must-have book, often recommended in the Netsuke world too. For some reason I still do not have it... grrrr....

Sadly, my wife has been forcing me to throw away my books. About 250 have gone to the dump in the last 10 days so far, but I have a core of essentials that I will die defending. 'Locked and loaded' as the Big DT likes to say.

Now that is a good buy, Uwe! Besides a matchlock bought in early 2019 and some tea-related items, I spent most my money on books last year. To collect knowledge is as important as collecting artifacts. It also makes the latter more enjoyable 🙂
          I hope this book will add both to your knowledge as well as to your collection 😉

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

Hi Gents,
            mine is on the way (I hope) from USA. Bought and payed in 2019. Hope to show it soon...

Comment

• Jan Pettersson
              Jan Pettersson commented
              Editing a comment
              The US is a good hunting ground to find hidden treasures. Looking forward to learn about your latest find 🙂

Jan

Hi!

My last buy 2019 was an Enfield M/1858 Navy rifle with a scary cutlass bayonet. It has beautiful inlays with dragons and clouds on the barrel and Japanese registration markings on the stock, in two places. Probably used in the Boshin war or/and the Satsuma rebellion. 30000 was exported to the Tokugawa side in three batches with A, B or C marked at the back of the stock, by the Americans at the end of their civil war in 1865. This one lacks these markings and was likely used by the opposite side. A nice addition to the Bakumatsu part of my collection. In the picture you also the the other type of bayonet this model could be fitted with, the Yagathan.

As for 2020, I am not going to buy anything...

Regards,

Anthony
            Attached Files
            Anthony De Vos - Sweden

Comment

• Uwe
              Uwe commented
              Editing a comment
              Another nice acquisition Anthony!
              Bayonet “one” seems to be the matching M1858. The other one is quite similar to the Naval M1859!?

Hi!

Some more photos of the inlays on the barrel.

Regards,

Anthony
            Attached Files
            Anthony De Vos - Sweden

Comment

Hi!

Photos of the markings. As you can see the weapon is fearsome with the cutlass sidearm doubling up as a bayonet

AnthonyIMG_6480a.jpg
              Attached Files
              Anthony De Vos - Sweden

Comment

• Jan Pettersson
                Jan Pettersson commented
                Editing a comment
                Uwe; to quote a line from a famous movie: ”Nobody puts a Shimazu quiver in the corner” 🙂

• Uwe
                Uwe commented
                Editing a comment
                .....like (to refer another post here) “nobody wants to buy anything...” 🤓......😁

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Gun, quivers, armor... Awesome and impressive...
                Congratulations Anthony.
                I'm just eager to see what you are not going to buy this year...

Dear Doc, in my world your next to last post would have had the headline “Breaking News- The viking king says “I am not going to buy anything in 2020”.
              But then, knowing you a little my friend , I would have changed the headline to “ Fake News- The viking King says: “ I am not going to buy anything in 2020” . 😂😂😂😂😂.
              By the way, I love that armor on the right of the picture: another restoration masterpiece of ours truly. It looks really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony de Vos View Post
                Hi!

As for 2020, I am not going to buy anything...

Regards,

Anthony
                😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jan

Jan - Sweden

Comment

Working...
                X