Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News

Hello everyone,

does anyone have any news from Dave and Ian B. It's been a long time since I've seen them on the forum anymore.

Pascal

True!!!
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Dave has focused more and more on his Facebook-page. Ian is also popping up on Facebook once in awhile. He got a study group going there.
      I will actually contact him later on to hear how he’s doing. Hopefully we will see them back here soon again.

Jan
      Jan - Sweden

Comment

Jan is right. I have mixed feelings about this: on the one hand, I agree with what Dave said some time ago about the "new" social media being the way forward. It is really amazing how many people he reaches with all the content he provides. On the other hand, I feel a little overwhelmed and facebook is obviously not as well structured as our beloved forum here...
        David Mueller - Germany

Comment

Facebook is for the masses. Which is good if you want to reach out with a message to a wide audience, sell stuff and if you enjoy a lot of ”likes”. But I think these smaller forums are equally good. I like the familiar feeling of knowing the active members.

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

• David M
            David M commented
            Editing a comment
            Very true, that's why I still log in and check for new posts everyday

• Nihontonut
            Nihontonut commented
            Editing a comment
            Jan I feel the same way P.S. I gave you a "like".

Personally, it saddens me not to see Ian and Dave on this forum anymore.
          I do not like facebook at all, to be honest, I hate that.
          But I still have so much fun coming to the forum, although it's true that I do not have much to say.

Pascal

Comment

The question about how much someone should participate and being active on this forum, is a question that concerns all online forums.
            Nihonto Message Board was my first experience and it probably took me 1-2 years before I dared post something. But I was welcomed by the oldtimers and gradually my ”presence” grew. At the beginning it was all about swords. I was lucky enough to be able to present some decent ones that elevated my confidence to post more questions etc.
            Through Piers, I found the Japanese matchlock. His posts and pictures completely blew me away and opened up the door to a whole new world. This must have been around 2011. It’s now the end of 2018. During these years I have posted countless posts on the subject, hopefully getting a little bit better on the way. I have made several matchlock-related trips to Japan in order to learn more. Now I’ve written and book and done an whole bunch of presentation all over Europe.
            I’m still just at the beginning of this adventure but I know one thing for sure; nothing of this would have happened without me logging on to the NMB-forum in the first place.
            So never underestimate these small forums populated by more or less crazy people
            Please don’t be afraid to post whatever you feel is interesting and in connection to what flies under the banner of this forum. It’s not the number of members or posts that’s important, it’s the fact that we have a place on this old interweb that we can call home and where we meet likeminded friends.
            I’m just about to post s thread about ladles used to melt lead into matchlock balls. Interesting as hell

Jan
            Last edited by Jan Pettersson; 11-24-2018, 07:20 AM.
            Jan - Sweden

Comment

• David M
              David M commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn Jan, that almost got my eyes wet

Absolutely agreed, Jan. And I always try to contribute to the sites that I visit and value. (Even with sudden little thoughts.)

What scares me though is when these websites suddenly go down, taking everything into the depths. Last time it kind of ripped a part of my life away.
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Uwe
              Uwe commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing will be forgotten Piers. The web (and some users 😉) remembering everything.
              What about an archive, if you still worried.....?

Wouldn't it have been easier to use lead instead of ladies for matchlock balls???

Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

Digital errors is always a factor, but this site is very secure. The one incident you manage happened when one administrator pressed the wrong buttom. The admins over here, keeps their fingers far away from any dangerous digits
              So Piers, keep em coming!!!

Jan
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

Working...
              X