Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naginata with Mei.

Hi Everyone ,

First post of Naginata is my humble honor .This blade comes with a long pole in black with the same Gingko Biloba motif in gold as the Saya . I couldn't get the
    complete pole in the frame , will post them later. The Mei translates to " AWA NO KAMI YASUTSUNA ". who lived in Goushou ( O-mi or present Shiga prefecture )
    and later moved to Osaka. Mid Edo period ? Don't know a lot about Naginata blades , so love some input if the pictures allow for it.

Jon

Hi Jon,
    There were various Tsuru/Kazura vine motifs used, such as Tessen, Rindo and the most famous generic word Karakusa. Arabesque. Since Ginkgo is not a vine, I am trying to see what else those flowers might be.

As to the Mei, Harima no Kami, Fujiwara Kunixxxx(?) can't see the bottom character.
    播磨守藤原國 ...
    Nice to have a naginata. Many people want one.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Hi Piers !

Interesting to know that the Ginkgo Biloba theme is uncommon. Was the Saya and pole decorations a choice of the one who gave commission to
      let it be made or the makers choice?
      And does the choice of the Flora say anything specific about the owner/maker ?

Thank you so much in helping to translate correctly the Mei . I will make some better photo's of the last character if you will !
      Still learning how to operate the translation App I have downloaded .

I knew you would apreciate a fine Naginata !

Love to hear what you find out.

Jon

Comment

Hi Piers !

A little follow up on the Naginata . The pole is 2.39 m. long and could not get it entirely in the frame let alone mounted with the blade.So I took photo's
        in part. Also hope you can identify the last character if you can see it clear enough and have the time! I would be gratefull. Wish I could produce better photo's
        but I am working on it. Also like to know if you found out more about the flora used to decorate the pole and Saya? I have read your threads about your Yari
        and want to show you a few I have that I think are interesting.

Best regards

Jon

Comment

Yes I managed to translate the last character as "Kiyo ". So with my heartfeld thanks to Pierce , the full translation is : Harima no Kami , Fujiwara Kuni Kiyo .
          Sir Ian Bottomley's lesson in translation of the Mei and the follow up is a big help!!
          Much obliged

Jon

Comment

Ah, Kiyo is very clear in that last shot. Many thanks!
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

No thank to you Piers !

Kind regards

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X