Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachi with ceremonial Koshirae.

Hi Everyone !

This Ofu no Tachi has a Nagasa of 67.5 cm and Nakago of 18.8 cm . And according to the seller in the early 60's , a kopie of a Kamakura model.

The Mei reads : "Mondo no Sho Masakiyo " and would belong to an Edo smith who lived from approximately 1670 to 1730.
    The Nakago is Ubu with O Sujikai vile markings and two Mekugi Ana and the Mune is flat.
    Tzukuri is Shinogi with a Chu Kisseki. Sori is Koshi.Hamon description unclear .I hope the photo's are clear enough to see , also found it difficult with present
    means to photograph the entire blade , so excuses there will try to post total lenght later.

The Koshirae with a Fenix and the Tsuba are of messing .The Saya bears the popular Tokugawa Mon in gold leaf .
    The sword smith according to the seller at the time worked for the Tokugawa family although I doubt this Tachi was commissioned by them , albeit it
    is missing the Mon on the Nakago. Could it be made to show off the smith's skill package?

I am having grief returning the Mekugi as I cannot seem to get the Ana lined up so I would appreciate any advise on this matter please!

Sorry for the photo's will try better soon , any reply welcomed ,

Jon

Looks like 19th Century work.

Jon, do you mean the Tsuba is missing?

How far out is the Ana in the Tsuka and Nakago?

Could be missing Seppa?

Jon Snr certainly was buying well!!!

Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

The mekugi is of a Bakumatsu style (at the end of Edo), with a tube from one side and an opposite-turning screw from the other. Sometimes it is hard to get the tube to go through the tsuka and nakago ana, so try from the other side. Make sure all the seppa and Tsuba are aligned, there is no play, and tap the whole sword on the open palm of your hand (maybe difficult with that phoenix!) to help it settle exactly into place.

Unable to see any hamon or activity in the blade there.

Oh and the style is usually called Efu no Tachi, or Ebudachi.
      Last edited by Teppotai; 07-05-2019, 11:22 AM.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Hi Malcolm !

No nothing is missing , just can't seem to line up the holes correctly. It seems that the tsuka doesn't fit anymore.It is just black .
        No light comes through.

Wish he was still here to show me how he managed to put the darn Mekugi in.......

Yes he loved beautiful japanese things.

Thank you for your reply !

Jon

Comment

Hi Piers !

Yes this proves to become something of a headache as I tried numerous ways and "techniques " to get the , as you mentioned , the bakumutsu style Mekugi
          back in its rightous place . The bird doesn't help for sure !
          Try to make better photo's of the Blade, wich is not that easy to do but I am working on it.
          Thank you so much for your additional info . Apreciate it a lot !

Jon

Comment

Hi Everyone ,

Some photo's of the complete Tachi mounted on a lavishly gold painted stand portraying an Eagle about to strike upon it's prey...

Jon

Comment

Working...
            X