Identifying old Katanas that has been in my family for generations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying old Katanas that has been in my family for generations

Hoping someone could help me to see if these katana are of any value. These have been in my family since the beginning of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan and was apparently gifted to my ancestors. There are three. One is a wakizashi that has no name or mark on the tang. One is most likely from the Sengoku era ~1600s based on the thickness of the spine. And the last one which I thought was imperial Japan era (due to its fittings) turns out is from late Edo era 1760~1850.

The older one seems to have a ray skin covered Saya which is pretty interesting. I was not able to knock out the pin to look at the tang. The wooden dowel is so deformed and wrecked from who knows who that tried to knock it out decades ago.

The other one which I thought was imperial Japan era I was able to check the tang revealing its name to me as 三川国岡崎住神風真菅 (Mikawa Okazaki Sumikin Kan San). Which is late Edo era as per this PDF I found. https://okazaki-kanko.jp/image/resou...document2/2964

I am hoping someone is able to tell me if these are worth any historical value or just a regular old family heirloom. Thanks in advance.

三州岡崎住神風真菅 江戸時代後期 69.3 1.6 三河刀工 (岡崎、伊奈勘岡崎市◆ ◆

(Mikawa/Mishu?) Okazaki Ju, Jinpu (Kamikaze) Masuga/Masuge

As you say there is a katana listed with a similar Mikawa smith Mei.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Working...
    X