Yoroi Doshi Tanto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoroi Doshi Tanto

Bought myself a new tanto last week. The fellow had a fair number of gunto and I had gone there with the intent of buying a Kaigunto and a navy dagger to fill some holes in the collection. well you know how it goes, I saw this and had to have it. I blew every cent I had on me, I figured I can always find gunto later right. It is a yoroi-doshi very thick and heavy. the quality of the fittings and polish are better than anything else in my collection. Did I get a home run here guys? The sageo is just a chunk of tsuka ito I had laying around I will get something more fitting later on. Any opinons and help with translation would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave Jackson
    B.C. Canada

Dave Jackson
    B.C. Canada

Comment

Dave Jackson
      B.C. Canada

Comment

Dave Jackson
        B.C. Canada

Comment

Dave Jackson
          B.C. Canada

Comment

P.S. I think the tsuba may have been swapped out it is very loose and quality is not up to par with the rest of the mountings
            Dave Jackson
            B.C. Canada

Comment

Hi Dave, the Fuchigashira depict a Tiger (Tora 虎) and Tree Peony flower (Botan 牡丹).

This coupling is symbolic of In Yo (Yin & Yang):

Tiger (In) is representative of a fierce and Indomitable spirit.

Though there were no Tigers in Japan, they are often depicted in both Arts and Religion which migrated from China .

Peony (Yo) is a strong symbol of beauty, fragility and transitory nature of existence.

Furthermore, they depict that getting great rewards is only possible by taking great risks.
              Last edited by Malcolm; 09-23-2018, 08:37 AM.
              Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

• Nihontonut
                Nihontonut commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Malcom I was not aware of this very interesting I had thought the creature was the dog- lion, shi -shi I think they were called. This makes sense when I first looked at the kashira I noticed a branch that divided the space in an s shape I was reminded of yin yang symbol.

Looks to be a very fine tanto in good polish, Dave! Much better than a gunto
              I’m sure some of this forums ”signature-readers” might be able to assist with the translation.

Jan
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

Can we not see 川崎 権之進 源 正吉 ? If so it would be... 'Kawasaki Ken/Nori/Yoshi-no-Shin (?) Minamoto Masayoshi'.

(Make sure during your searches for Minamoto Masayoshi that you are not looking at 昌芳, 正義 etc., all of which can be read Masayoshi.)
                Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

PS The date! Man-en Gannen 萬延元年 Nigatsu Kichijitsu 二月吉日 i.e. The first year of Man-en, An auspicious day in February.

(The later way of writing Man-en was 万延)
                  Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Nihontonut
                    Nihontonut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    wow thank you very much I would never have gotten that. now hopefully I get lucky searching for the smith.

And therein lieth the fun of the chase!
                  Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

I agree with Piers à lucky day in February, of the first year of man-en period
                    It's in 1861 Dave ! Bakumatsu period ! Not so easy to find this Masayoshi But one in the Musashi province could correspond.. To confirm with more search..
                    Laurent
                    Last edited by gui; 09-23-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Nihontonut
                      Nihontonut commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is what I love most about this is the never ending learning of history. I looked up Man-en period from several different sources and it keeps coming back as 1860 not 1861, so I do some reading and it turns out Man-en started in March 1860 and goes until February 1861. As tanto was made in February it has to be in 1861. Next thing Im wondering is why so short and an hour down the rabbit hole I go an here am learning all kinds of stuff today.

Yes I agree with you we are always learning. So much things to learn and remember all not easy..
                    ​​​​​​.
                    Laurent
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

When you have extra cash, invest in the biggest Meikan sword reference that you can find! (Use it as a door stopper for double use and extra value.) Get Fujishiro in English translation too for photographic reference on Mei to help to avoid the many Gimei out there. Neither will be cheap, unless you have a sharp eye and massive luck. Oh, and everyone swears by Hawleys, although I do not have one. You are probably using online resources too, I would guess.
                      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Yes good advice Piers Dave could purchase the Hawley book too .. .
                        I have the Hawley book (also a good door stopper! ) 1046 pages heavy huge informations. A must, but very rare and difficult to find on the market sometime one appear..
                        ​​​​​​.
                        Laurent

Comment

Working...
                        X