Help with a shirasaya

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a shirasaya

Hello! I was offered with this shirasaya and been told that it was from Edo period. There are only two kanjis (translation is Kunisada). Is it really old? original? something to say about Kunisada (I{ve just seen the familiy name in some examples in the web, but not only with two kanjis). Thanks!

More pics

Comment

Not a sword guy, but looks legit, but in need of a serious polish to fix what's wrong with it. Unless it's as cheap as dirt, I'd save my money and buy something you can enjoy. I was burned early and often by "learned" experts in the field of Nihonto, and switched to Armor, where I have found my true passion. However, I still have the "deals" I bought, as they are to bad to pass on. Spend the money on something that will allow you to pass it on later to upgrade. This one will need $$$ to make it worth passing.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion Justin. I´ve been dealing with WW2 guntos for the last 15 years but there´s a gap with older ones for me. As you said about polish I agree, but the main issue is to know if that shirasaya is worthy, original from Edo or other period and not a fake or a modern shirasaya. Asking price is 400 american dollars, that´s why I need more eyes to see it.

Comment

Hi Loader.,

Patina and condition of the Shirasaya suggests mid to early late 20th Century.

Edo period Shirasaya tend to have a beat up sheen and almost treacle/tobacco coloured tone to them.

Look at the "Mitsumori" shirasaya 4th sword down in the link below

http://www.samuraisword.com/nihonto_..._redirect=true

$400 dollars seems reasonable, $350 would be better if you must have it.

I would take no notice of the signature.
          Last edited by Malcolm; 09-12-2018, 05:07 AM.
          Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

I would agree with the above. Shirasaya are simply protective covers for blades and often mended or changed over the years whenever necessary. Naturally a very old or particularly well-made shirasaya is nice to have on a blade, but simply a small bonus. I have had a shirasaya made for a very old blade, simply because it did not have one and the normal Koshirae is not an ideal way to keep a blade rust-free.

A decent polish will cost big bucks, as has been pointed out, as driving a large car will cost you big maintenance fees . It could be a good starter blade, but surely a good blade in good polish at double the price would be a better investment. (?) It's a minefield out there, so asking the question here was a good first step. We really need to be clear about our overall aims when we are suddenly offered a sword. One way to decide whether to polish is to have a professional open a 'window' on the blade to see if it would be worth the investment.
            Last edited by Teppotai; 09-12-2018, 11:47 AM.
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

I agree with other members.. Just ask you if you prefer buy and pay a new polish (may be try to ask seller a better price..) or purchase directly another blade in polish good state... Investment questions are always important..
              ​​​​​​.
              Laurent

Comment

Working...
              X