Whoops!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John,
    Happy you succeed to post the photos, I like all echu kabuto a nice classic shape..
    As said Uwe and Jan you have to take a decision if you would restored the kabuto you must know that the katchushi will take off all the actual laquer damage and will relaquer all considering the state ! Depends what you prefer, full restored kabuto or no. But Dave or other Katchushi will tell you more details.. I don t think tameshi..
    ​​​​​​.
    Laurent /France
    Last edited by gui; 09-28-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

John, Sadly you have had a bit of a bad deal. Yes it can be completely restored and made to look like new, but... Deciding on whether to restore or conserve is never easy. You could stabilise the remains of the leather on the shikoro by running some watery adhesive under what is left and then clamping it until its dry but that is about all.
      Ian Bottomley
      Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

considering the state I think the price restoration is more expensive than purchase directly another edo echu kabuto in a good state..
        ​​​​​​.
        Laurent
        Last edited by gui; 10-04-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Sansai Ryu Etchu Zunari. As used by the Hosokawa clan.
          The leather on the shikoro is horsehide and paper-thin.
          The substrate has active rust, therefore consolation is not an option.

I think collectors need to understand that having an item restored traditionally is no longer their choice. Katchushi have not been supported enough over the years which has prevented younger people wanting to learn the profession. The result is that there are now less than a handful of competent katchushi remaining. The good ones are fully booked for many years in advance which only leaves the dross who will not be able to make such a good job. Skilled Katchushi also know that they can make more money from buying and repairing their own items for sale rather than take on commissions from others.

Discarding the cost of restoration even to have a skilled katchushi actually accept your item and work for you has now become a very luxury. My advice when buying is only to buy the best you can at whatever you can afford, or to buy something that has been restored. Katchu is designed to be maintained, with no maintenance it self destructs over the years and any investment you have goes with it.
          David Thatcher
          Professional Armour Restoration (Katchushi Koubou)
          Web: http://www.yoroi.uk
          Facebook Group:
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/Samuraiarmour/
          Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raimu_gallery_uk/

Comment

I certainly wouldnt want to spend loads of money restoring it. And as Dave says, unlikely anyone would take it on anyway. So basically it’s not really worth anything at all?

Sad really...

Comment

• DaveT
              DaveT commented
              Editing a comment
              As Jan as written. I fully agree. It's worth what you paid. How nice to have a kabuto that was in the Hosokawa clan at the same time as Musashi was their fencing instructor!

It’s worth the respect for the samurai that once wore it with pride.
            We must never forget that these are historical pieces. To some extent that value exceeds any monetary value, as the latter is just a cold fact what some other collector is willing to pay for your piece.

Jan
            Jan - Sweden

Comment

Whole heartedly agree with all that you guys have said. I shan’t sell it. I love the shape. And I love the history of it. And thank you all so much for you comments and opinions...

john

Comment

Jan is right!
                If you see a collection also (or mainly) as an investment with constantly growing value, forget it! Part with the imagination of making any profit with your hobby, otherwise you running the risk to become a dealer
                Seriously, the questions “Is it worth restoration?”, or, “Is it worth the price?” based on the current market, are in fact the wrong approach for an collector, IMHO.

​​​​I myself bought a lot of pieces in bad shape and have had them restored, well aware, that it made no sense in an financial point of view. So what, the good thing is, some honest old stuff was brought back to “live” and saved from oblivion
                Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

I think you missed my point Uwe. I’m didn’t buy it for an investment. (Although that’s what I tell my Wife). I bought it because I really liked it. And the Musashi connection that Dave mentioned, makes it all the more appealing.

John

Comment

John you have à small part of Japanese History with this kabuto. And you can watch in details the construction of this kabuto always interesting to see !
                    ​​​​​​.
                    Laurent
                    Last edited by gui; 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

If you can’t stand looking at it, I can ease your pain and help you. Just send it to me

Jan
                      Jan - Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMB View Post
                        I think you missed my point Uwe. I’m didn’t buy it for an investment. (Although that’s what I tell my Wife). I bought it because I really liked it. And the Musashi connection that Dave mentioned, makes it all the more appealing.

John
                        I got your point very well John. Hard to believe that such an item is bought for investment reasons
                        Don’t put much thoughts in the “Musashi connection”, your kabuto had little to do with this guy!
                        Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

I know Uwe, but it’s a nice tale to tell...and Jan, appreciate the offer...🤔...nah.

john

Comment

Working...
                          X