Whoops!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops!

So, I saw this on eBay for 750 bucks. It said make an offer. So rashly I did. I offered 500 bucks, fully expecting it not to be excepted. But it was...i think I know what I have...but i’ll Let the pictures tell the story.

John
    Attached Files

Sorry John, the pictures are not working. Could you try again?
    David Mueller - Germany

Comment

Same as David, I can t see the pictures..
      Laurent
      Last edited by gui; 10-05-2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Are you getting “invalid file”? I get that a lot when I try to look at pics here. Let me try again
        Attached Files

Comment

Still happening

Comment

Just a little test

Jan
            Jan - Sweden

Comment

Please try again, John. Just press the kamera-icon and add an image. However, make sure it’s not to big.
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

OK...it doesn't work from my iPad, struggles with my iPhone, so now it's the turn of my Mac book! here goes!...YES!!!
                Last edited by JohnMB; 09-28-2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

There is also a substantial dent in the side. Could this be tameshi, or just a dent?

Comment

• gui
                    gui commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think too much restorations, high price

Real “Etchu-Znari” kabuto, John!
                  Unfortunately in quite bad condition....😏

Regarding the dent. The way the lacquer is cracked at that area, it seems, that it happened after the urushi was applied. Hard to tell, if’s a tameshi?!
                  Last edited by Uwe; 09-28-2019, 07:33 AM.
                  Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Congrats on finally getting the pictures to stick

Like Uwe just stated, a classic Etchu-Zunari kabuto. A style that forever is connected to the Hosokawa clan.
                    One of my favorite style of kabuto due to its elegant yet highly functional design. Made to withstand impacts from matchlock-balls etc.
                    Yes, it’s in somewhat bad condition but the good thing is that it’s orginal down to the leather-covered shikoro.
                    The impact does not look like it was caused by a firearm but it could def be from a sword or something similar.
                    If you would like to have it restored, you can always contact Dave. I know he worked on several of these Etchu-Zunari.
                    But you could also just put it on a stand and enjoy it for what it is, an honest kabuto from a bygone era.
                    Thanks for sharing!

Jan
                    Jan - Sweden

Comment

It is rather sad...Hosokawa clan, right?

john
                      Last edited by JohnMB; 09-28-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Trouble Is Jan, every time I move it, more of the leather falls off. Is it leather or vellum? It’s remarkable thin.

john
                        Last edited by JohnMB; 09-28-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Well, if you decide to leave it in this original condition, you must not touch it very much. Just put it on a stand a let it be enjoyed without touching. Otherwise the only way to keep it safe, will be to have it restored.
                          I belive it to be leather, which with high age, becomes very brittle.
                          And keep it away from sunlight.

Jan
                          Jan - Sweden

Comment

John, normally it’s lacquered leather, but can be both.....Anyway, it’s beyond repair.
                            When the first excitement has settled, you can decide what to do, in terms of restoration (or conservation)! In any case, a genuine piece of history, as Jan said 👍
                            Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Working...
                            X