No announcement yet.

Tameshi - Bulletproof Helmets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3,5 kg is an awful lot of weight to be carrying around. I doubt helmets this heavy was made to be worn. Perhaps it was a ”window piece” to attract customers. The multi tameshi might be an indication of this.
    Usually test shots were performed at a distance of about 10 meters. Matchlocks, with its smooth bore, was not very accurate. Trying to hit a specific place on a plate at a longer distance, would be close to impossible.
    Another point to this buisness of test shots, is of course the amount of gunpowder used. A lower amount of powder would of course impact on the result of the test. So the difference in impact on that side plate, can also be traced back to a weak load.

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Triglav
      Triglav commented
      Editing a comment
      It's hard to imagine to run with that heavy Kabuto on head..Maybe Myochin's promotional or display piece, as you sugested...
      Bojan

• DaveT
      DaveT commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of tameshi are faked by the katchushi as it became a fashion during edo. Also, let's not underestimate the build of these people. Even in the UK, our ancestors were a lot stronger than we are now.

Thanx Dave, indeed "shots" are almost simetical on both sides..also tehan in interesting in this one.
    Bojan

Comment

Haraidate like this, I aslo didn't seen usualy on Zunaris..

Comment

Most probably a late Edo piece!
        Close ups from the tameshi might show if they’re “real” or not!
        Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

In Royal Armouries is armour signed Myochin Munesada, dated 1700-1799..other smiths with the same name are mentioned on early periods..

Comment

Bojan,
            you have to be very careful when dating works (smiths) from the Myochin line “by name”. Not only because of the questionable genealogy, but also because of the different signatures. For example, written with “貞” or “定”, clan name or not...etc!
            Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Hi Uwe, here is a better picture of Mei..if it can tell something more about the age.
              Regards,
              Bojan S.

Comment

There are 3 smiths listed using this “定” character in their mei. Unfortunately, we can’t assign your helmet to one of them with confidence!
                I rather guess, that we are dealing with an unregistered blacksmith in your case.....
                Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

• Jan Pettersson
                  Jan Pettersson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those darn ”unregistered blacksmiths”...
                  You have to get going with a book, Uwe!

Jan

• Uwe
                  Uwe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😁.....rumors going, that a Japanese guy is already about that, Jan....🤔

Thank you Uwe, but is there any other specific in production / shape style, which can point this to Myochin line or it is just Tameshi Kabuto with Gimei signature?
                Bojan S.

Comment

Unfortunately no, Bojan!
                  It is hard to date Zunari kabuto or associate them with a certain school.
                  BTW, nobody said that your kabuto is gimei
                  Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Thank you Uwe, maybe will be for future reference for someone..
                    Regards,
                    Bojan S.

Comment

Hi,

I just rediscovered this very interesting thread and would sincerely thank all contributors. I'm learning a lot.
                      Wish I had something related to post...

Regards.
                      Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                      X