X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon
    started a topic Kusari Katabira

Kusari Katabira

Winter is coming..so what better way than to protect yourself from the cold. I think a nanban ( ? ) kusari vest with silk and hemp lining and
    built in eri-mawashi with nerigawa kikko. Complimented with okashi kote with nawame (?) kusari and egawa sleeve ends ? Who would have worn this ?
    The missing tekko suggests by someone that needed the full use of his hands. Anyway....

Jon
    ​​​​​​​

• Jon
    commented on 's reply
    BTW Thank you for your leniency regarding my Shinsengumi presumption , Their colour combination is white and blue...

• Jon
    replied
    Hi Jan , Yes I am thrilled to learn this is a Bakumatsu piece. Real battle armour holds an extra added mystique ....Your hita-ate would be a perfect top hat !
    Thank you.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Jan Pettersson
    replied
    Jon, your example is what I would call a classic Bakumatsu period piece of kit.
    During the 1860s when war once again rocked the island of Japan, light armour like your kusari katabira was very popular amongst the samurai. It was quite effective against edged weapon, which was used quite a lot on the streets of Edo and Kyoto during this period. Shinsengumi was one of the players for sure, even if they used a different color combination.
    This kind of armour is often overlooked by most collectors, but if you are looking for an armor that might have seen some real action, you better off with this style compared to a ”parade” armour from the 18th century.
    Now you just need to find a suitable piece of head-gear

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    commented on 's reply
    Hi ian, protective gear for government officials ...Thank you...Your's is a beautiful example. A sheer test of patience and endurance , I believe , relocating
    the mail back onto the hemp. When laced to the body it looks like it would fit relatively comfortable !

• Ian Bottomley
    replied
    I have two kusari katabira, One similar to that depicted above with tie-in half sleeves (with tekko) and kamon in iron one either breast and back. The other is similar but has the mail covered with hemp cloth, with the kamon stencilled on, and a kikko collar. One use for these was that they were worn by magistrates when attending an incident on horseback. I also have a strange mail thing shown below that is obviously to protect the armpits, but also has these flaps over the upper arm that may have been laced on the inside (when I got it the mail was tacked on with stitches all over the place and I had to relocate it all back onto the hemp base.).
    Ian Bottomley

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Malcolm , So it could have belonged to one of the Shinsengumi or Ishin shishi.....That's a nice thought....Thank you...

• Malcolm
    replied
    I view these, much in the same way as modern body armour, worn under normal clothing.

Things like this were very popular during the Bakumatsu

Leave a comment:

Working...
X