Early or Late Okegawa Dou ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning gentlemen,
    I remember seeing some pictures posted a few years ago by Dave of a Dō that ha had stripped of all the urushi to restore it (if I remember well).
    It was a surprise in finding out that what was assembled (and probably sold) as solid plates ( hence very expensive ) was in fact a combination of joint pieces recycled and then covered with urushi. Guess it was late Edo armor , which you luckily didn’t wear in actual combat, but it proved that scrap recycling was normal.
    Maybe Dave still has those pictures and can post them to see.
    Massimo

Comment

Morning gentlemen...

Massimo, are you referring to the Leeds gathering in 2017 ?
      I was not there at the time but the report states :

The seminar proper was opened by Dave Thatcher who shocked the audience into attention by ripping off a large section of the surface of what appeared to be beautiful lacquer on a dō. His point was to show how moisture had caused the leather that acted as a base for the lacquer layers had become detached from the metal underneath....

I guess Dave must have some photos to illustrate what you wrote about recycling bits and pieces.
      Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

Massimo, Daniel, yes, I remember reading about it on the old forum. Someone, probably also Dave, compared historic armourers to shady car mechanics, hiding all kinds of patches and mess-ups under layers and layers of urushi
        David Mueller - Germany

Comment

Working...
        X