Flag pole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag pole

On Friday I visited a large antique fair in the UK expecting to find nothing, as i usually do, only to come away with the rarest item I have ever found at such an event. My first thought, which had me really excited was that I had found the pole for a hata sashimono, but a little thought soon changed my mind - it was far too big. It is definitely a pole for a flag, but what kind of flag and for what use? The length of the black lacquered, ribbed pole is about 185cm, the brass horizontal arm at the top is 46cm long. Just below the top arm there is a swivelling ring that has a small ring attached and another similar one 58cm below that. This suggest it was designed for a flag measuring about 45cm x 58 / 60cm.. At the bottom of the pole is a simple pointed shoe, maybe for sticking in the ground. There was originally a joint in the pole that the dealer had glued together that I will try to get this apart later. So, its a pole for a relatively small flag that could be stuck in the ground. It might be for a religious purpose but it looks more samurai to me. Has anyone any ideas?
    Ian Bottomley
    Ian Bottomley - UK

Quite cool, furthermore unexpected!
    Is there the possibility, that the pole was cut down at some point, Ian?
    Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Uwe, Yes possibly. I mentioned the dealer had glued it together, he may have lost a section.
      Ian
      Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

How about that find! Well, I guess good things are still out and about.
        Def high-quality and used by someone with funds avalible.

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

A good find interesting
          ​​​​​​.
          Laurent / France

Comment

It looks at first glance as though an original yari pole was re-purposed into a nobori flag pole with the lovely brass fitment at the top. If it has been cut down to size, it's a shame, but it often happens even today as no-one has room for long or bulky objects any more.
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Piers, I suspect it may have been reduced in length, but all of the flag fittings are in an untouched part, of the pole so it never was for any flag bigger than 45 x 60cm. Similarly, I cannot see that the pole has been re-used since the rings and fittings could not have been slid over the lacquered ridges of the pole. So, apart from it possibly having been longer, the flag bit is as intended.
              Ian
              Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

• Teppotai
                Teppotai commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ian for the feedback. Do you have an overall shot?

Piers, No but I will take one for you later today. What gets me is that this is a quality item, not just a length of bamboo, so it cost money and must have had a special purpose.
              Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

This is for sure not a classic bamboo pole as we find usually more high quality.. What date do you think Ian end edo ? I think the small ring as no particular use exept to put an agemaki decoration..
                For the original use only sashimono flag or special shape use mystery remains...

​​​​​​.
                Laurent / France
                Last edited by gui; 10-14-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Ian,

45x60cm sounds like a Hata. Together with a shortened pole.....makes sense, don’t you think?
                  Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Interesting indeed but...
                    Well, I've never seen such a pole... I agree with the idea of a flag pole but can't think of anything more relevant, sorry...
                    Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                    X