Waist box/pouch 'Douran' 'Dohran'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waist box/pouch 'Douran' 'Dohran'

At the gunner's waist was a carrying box for useful tools, called a 胴乱 Douran (like doh!+ran). It was fairly cumbersome, and strapped there by a rope or cloth belt. Apart from the necessary tools carried within, there could also be a set of loaded Hayago tubes. These Dohran were usually made of sewn leather, sometimes leather covering an inner wooden box.

Towards the end of the Edo period, as guns modernized and became simpler and more western, these pouches grew smaller in size and were used to carry percussion caps etc. Western influence is more obvious. These latter usually have some kind of simple clip attachment for a leather belt.

There is a story that Louis Vuitton got some inspiration from a glimpse of a Ningyo gunner wearing a Dohran at one of the Paris Expositions, of perhaps 1867?
    Last edited by Teppotai; 12-03-2019, 03:26 AM.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

To get the ball rolling here is a lacquered flexible leather Doran with leather stitching and Shinchū/Shakudo fastener.The Mon seems to be an early regional variant before the Ikeda open-wing butterfly Bizen-Cho became standardized.

Shōgi and Tanto for size reference.

525A02C8-B3BE-4FE6-BC12-2026A0797DE6.jpeg

Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Duran Duran....

Here’s a very similar looking Doran with the ”open” Butterfly Kamon.
    Yours looks to be in a better state of preservation.

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, peas in a pod! Wonderful. Originally there were (at least) three of these apparently, sold by a dealer in Nara. I wonder where the third one went?

May have posted this somewhere before, but here are some of the possible contents of a Dohran.

63317867-E7C0-4B8C-9DEF-3109C5FB9445.jpeg

Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Malcolm
      Malcolm commented
      Editing a comment
      Daruma on a tea leaf, representing his eyelid which he cut off because it impeded his meditation.

Let’s have a little quiz using the picture Piers just posted above.
    Of all the items above, which is considered the most rare amongst us tepponistas?
    I hope you will agree with my ruling here, Piers

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

Hi tepponistas...

Since I know nearly nothing about these items, I make a try : The little thing (don't know it's name) right in the middle between the two dohran ? To me it looks like a small stand to hold something while working on it for maintenance ?

Regards.
      Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan, the stand is useful when placing the long gun on the ground, but it is perhaps the one object that is out of place or out of character here. Jan told me that in Yonezawa they just lay their guns on the bare ground or in the grass. If we had to name it then Teppō-kaké or Teppō-taté might do.

I dare a guess.......the “pan like” thing with it’s little leather bag?
      What are these small (presumably) knives in “shirasaya” for?
      Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        The little 'pan like' thing is actually an ashtray (haizara) Netsuke for starting a fire or extinguishing a kiseru pipe, Uwe. They are relatively easy to find and I have several; it is attached to an accordion-style (Jabara) Kinchaku purse containing tinder fluff and a flint. Close, but no bananas, as they say.

The knives are non-essential general utility knives with no single purpose. You could carve a temporary mekugi pin, or cut off the burning end of the match cord. I guess you could leave out the stand and one of these knives with no problem. Just use the Kozuka from your scabbard when you need a blade.

Daniel, your guess about the charming little stand is actually not that bad. But as this piece of kit might be considered ”not standard” in a Doran, I have omitted it from our little quiz.
      Piers is correct about the laid-back attitude displayed by the guys up in Yonezawa, towards their matchlocks. They had no second thoughts about dropping their guns into deep wet grass.
      The item I’m after, is smaller than the stand and of a more utilitarian nature...

Jan
      Jan - Sweden

Comment

Good guess Uwe, but no candy
        Keep em coming guys!

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

I have narrowed the picture slightly...

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

Jan, are we talking about the bodkin like item, dead center frame (Threaded into the Flint pouch?).
            Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

And the candy goes to Malcolm Yes, that bodkin like item, was used to clear out the channel between the pan and the barrel to facilitate the effective distribution of primer.
              I’m not a 100% sure of the correct name for it, but Dogu is widely excepted, I guess.
              The overwhelming majority of these ”items” were discarded when matchlocks went out of fashion, making it near to impossible to find an original Edo period example.
              A rather plain looking object but crucial in order for the matchlock to go BOOM.
              I sure would like one in my Christmas stocking

Jan
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

Congrats Malcolm!

Piers/Jan, I ask about the knives because I have one similar and I always wondered what it is for....except to open letters with
                Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

Well done Malcom !
                  Interesting little quiz and answers and comments taught me something. Thanks everybody.
                  Daniel GONY - FRANCE

Comment

Just for edification, the vent pricker is called a sssshhhhh.......... this *word also has other meanings which might make some people's ears go red, so be careful when and where. Remember 'TPO'.

seseri

Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Teppotai
                      Teppotai commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Which reminds me of a little glimpse I had of a woman frustratedly trying to unblock her vent hole in the changing room before an event over ten years ago. She was somewhat violently pushing and pulling this wire in and out and waggling it around, and I remember thinking that the hole was surely too large already without any extra encouragement. Her agitation seemed abnormal. 'nuff said.

• Malcolm
                      Malcolm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My infallible Imiwa says "Chicken Neck Meat", amongst other things for that which cannot be named, that which must not be named....... Res Ipsa Loquitur, Viz: Byrne V Boadle.
                      Last edited by Malcolm; 12-05-2019, 05:35 AM.
                  Working...
                  X