No announcement yet.

Need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Tokugawa emblem and the Sakura were made at the same time. just after hammering.
    wisteria Family Crest cannot have been made before. either it is made in the same time as the rifle, or it is later.
    what do you think now that you've seen more photos?

Comment

Marco, we are discussing removing the strange side decoration in pic #3 in Post #5, i.e. not the serpentine, and not the decorative plate on the top of the butt was added to stop the crack and is normal and necessary there.

Personally I suspect that the barrel itself was probably planished to some degree, and further planishing to the brasswork was carried out later for whatever reason. The serpentine may not even be original.

Your signature reads "Sesshu Ju Tanaka Yasubei *Tomoe Saku +Kao" 摂州住田中安兵衛知栄作 (+花押) This means that an individual smith named Tomo-e/Kazu-e/Sato-e worked for the smith workshop Tanaka Yasubei, and they were based in Sakai (Osaka). There is another gun by this smith, luckily, which is dated Ansei 2, so if we assume a working life from ages of 20+/- to 60+/- , that will give you a rough date for your gun.

Top right it says Jigane Niju So-makibari. 地鉄二重惣巻張 This means that during the forging process the barrel was bound in a double helix throughout.

*知栄 can be read in several different ways. Although it is a popular girl's name nowadays, it can also be a boy's name. If we assume that the smith was a male, then we could read this name as Tomo-e, Kazu-e, Chie, Sato-e, and the final -e can be read -ei too, as in Sato-ei, for example...
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

I'm confused. I did not understand that it was a question of the side decoration. now it is perfectly clear to me.

when I bought this matchlock. it was in poor condition and incomplete. the side decoration was already present. I do not think that it was a decoration added just before the sale to increase the sale price. if not they would also try to repair the rest (attached the glossy photos for sale)
        for me, if it is not original, it is not from the 21st century either. nothing will unfortunately allow if it is late 19 century early 20 century or .... all late 20 century.

a possible explanation of its usefulness:
        the plate is long, not very thick, the large spring which connects the trigger to the coil and is very hard and makes the plate bend. it does not touch the wood in terms of decoration. the decoration allows the plate to be pressed onto the frame.

thank you for the translation of the signature. even if I am a novice, I am very happy to learn the history of this object and a little of those who made it and used it.

Regards,
        Marco from France.

Comment

Marco, have a close look at these. See the brass ‘nails’ (pins) which hold the lock plate to the butt of the stock.

33FD9579-1961-4611-8855-30563C4C3A2E.jpeg

E3C093B1-D55E-46C5-A84A-55455BBBB95D.jpeg

Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

thanks for the pictures of the pins. at the moment I don't have the tools to make them again. I would change them as soon as possible.

if you allow me, I have one more question. have you ever seen this type of spring (the large one visible on the two photos) in real or in a book. or is it also an anachronistic modification?

Comment

No, Marco, I have never seen a spring like that in the lockwork of a Japanese matchlock. Thank you for showing that.
              Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

It's a repair to try and make it function in the most basic sense, but not work. It is missing all of the original parts of the lock. I think I can see where the various other coiled springs were originally. These can be made and replaced.

Comment

Hello and thank you for your opinion. I replaced the part with the large spring in place. it may not be original but I can assure you that it works well. I fired about 50 bullets with

Comment

I found a brass bar at the bottom of my garage. I tried to make a new, more presentable nail to close the plate.

Comment

Working...
                    X