Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

Hello,
    I ask for your help to identify this rifle. he wears the tokugawa kamon. I read that depending on the way it is drawn it can help to know what type it comes from. can you teach me more?

caliber 18.5mm / length 1.10 meter

regard,
    Marco

ps: i use an automatic translator. if you can't understand me, tell me that i'm reformulating my sentences.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-13-2020, 05:51 PM.

who owns this wisteria flower?

Comment

can you read and translate this signature? date / place of manufacture?

Comment

Hi Marco,

Interesting Hammer planished surface to the Tsutsu barrel

The wisteria Family Crest (Kamon) is known as Sagari Chiri Fuji (Hanging pre blooming Wisteria).

The method of its application (Silver Nunome?) suggests that it may be earlier than the Tokugawa Aoi Kamon, which looks to be applied layers of Urushi Lacquer.

Also, what is the decoration on the flat area of the area of the Stock (Dai) and Flat plate (Jiita) above the Trigger (Hikigane)?

Last edited by Malcolm; 03-14-2020, 05:30 AM.
        Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

thank you for this first review.
          attached the photo of the requested decoration and another bonus .

Comment

Dear Marco!
            This is an interesting matchlock with a lot of things going on. At the core, this is a matchlock made to follow the Ogino-ryu school of gunnery, as revealed by the elongated handle. One somewhat rare feature is the closed pan cover, usually associated with matchlocks made according to the Tazuke-ryu school. Some people say that these closed pan lids were made to be fitted to matchlocks used on ships. The idee there, probably being that a closed pan cover protected the pan and the powder therein, from water.
            The large ornamentation on the lock plate is a later, probably 20th century addition.
            I like the barrel with the hammer marks present. Saw a very similar barrel on another 10 Monme matchlock, that went under the hammer in the UK last summer.
            The signature contains a lot of information, which I think Piers might share some light on. If my eyes don’t fail me, I think I see that the gun had the barrel double-wrapped, which is a sign of quality.
            I’m not 100% sure, but the serpentine holding the match cord, might be a later replacement.
            Overall a nice heavy matchlock.

Jan
            Jan - Sweden

Comment

Thank you Marco, as Jan says, the large ornamentation looks like a later addition, possibly a fitting from a Japanese Cabinet (Tansu).

All together an interesting piece.

Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

As usual, Malcolm is the man to listen to. Here’s a picture from a tansu in my house. On it is a ornament similar in overall shape to the one on the matchlock.
                If it was my matchlock, I’ll probably try to remove it, if no further damage will be done to the stock.

Jan
                Jan - Sweden

Comment

Thank you Jan, I am intrigued by the planishing hammer work to the barrel and the brass fittings.

Is this a common feature on certain types of Teppo?

Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

No Malcolm, it is not common at all. And I agree with Jan to remove the metal furniture fitting which is totally out of place. I wonder if it was added purely as decoration or to hide something?
                    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Pettersson View Post
                      As usual, Malcolm is the man to listen to. Here’s a picture from a tansu in my house. On it is a ornament similar in overall shape to the one on the matchlock.
                      If it was my matchlock, I’ll probably try to remove it, if no further damage will be done to the stock.

Jan
                      the ornament is fixed with nails. it is well so. I will not remove it even if it is not original. at this location the wood is split. can this ornament be added to "fix" the breakage? (first picture)

for me the coil is original. it has the same hammered aspec and the same patina as the plate. I attach a better photo of this piece.

Comment

Yes, the serpentine looks to be orginal. Much easier to see on these pictures.
                        Also intersting to see the pan cover. To my knowledge I’ve never seen such a decorated pan cover before. Someone wanted a decorated matchlock and the artisans were happy to sort him out.
                        Fairly sure we are talking about a 19th century matchlock.

Jan
                        Jan - Sweden

Comment

Good evening Piers Jan & Marco,

"I wonder if it was added purely as decoration or to hide something?"

My thoughts as well, however an awful lot of hammering has gone on over the barrel and the brass stock fittings.

It would have taken a long time.

The signature looks to have been cut after the planishing (look at the edges of the kanji).

Also the Sakura look to be overlays.

​​​​​​​
                          Last edited by Malcolm; 03-15-2020, 06:59 PM.
                          Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Pettersson View Post
                            Fairly sure we are talking about a 19th century matchlock.

Jan
                            I am reassured. it is therefore not a copy sold for tourists

Comment

for me too. signature have been cut after the planishing

Comment

Working...
                              X