Long barrel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long barrel

Although the Mei is badly corroded, this barrel carries some of the signs of Awa, a province in Shikoku roughly equating to today’s Tokushima Prefecture in the south east. Most of the stock has been lost.
    What is typical, and what is untypical?

70761FCF-1058-4EDD-BF5A-3878A7764C89.jpeg
    Last edited by Teppotai; 01-21-2018, 05:19 AM.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

It’s a tad hard to judge from this picture. But it is a darn long gun
    Is the barrel tigerstriped or is it just my phone? The muzzle doesn’t look to have the traditional ”bulky” shape of a traditional Awa, but again, it’s hard to see.

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

Jan, I posted the fuzziest picture possible, hoping I could fool your eyes.

A725134F-1D46-4216-8826-979409D9501D.jpeg
      Last edited by Teppotai; 01-21-2018, 08:03 AM.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Tigerstripes, indeed. Not sure if I seen that before. A lot of the Awa-zutsu sports beautifully tigerstriped stocks, but barrels... The complete package must have been an impressive sight back in the days.

Jan

Jan - Sweden

Comment

Now this was shown to me as an example of Kazura-maki, (vine binding) as opposed to ordinary Makibari, niju-makibari, so-makibari, etc.
          It had been my impression that the terms 'makibari' and 'kazura-maki' were simply different words for the same thing.
          Here though is an example, it was explained, of two deliberately different strengths/types of steel being wound around the barrel, but I am guessing more for decorative effect than for tensile strength. As you say, it must have been a lovely sight back in the day.
          Last edited by Teppotai; 01-22-2018, 12:30 AM.
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Ah, that explains the corrosion on the lighter coloured metal. It’s rare to see an example of how the gunsmiths used different types wrappings to build up the barrel.
            Turned out the be a interesting piece of iron

Jan
            Jan - Sweden

Comment

Good afternoon Piers & Jan.,

Here's an article which includes Kazura-maki from the Bi - monthly magazine of the Rekihaku Museum in Sakura City, Chiba Prefecture.

https://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/o...4/witness.html

Interesting place to visit, most times I have visited it has been quiet, as it is on the outskirts of Sakura and Sakura is not exactly epicenter of the Tourist industry.

The website is ok:

http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/index.html

PS Now I know why they make those long white tarmac lines in car parks...........
              Last edited by Malcolm; 01-21-2018, 01:47 PM.
              Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

Hi!

Very interesting barrel, Pierce! I have never seen that construction. Do you have the rest of the gun?

Anthony
                Anthony De Vos - Sweden

Comment

Anthony, no, unfortunately only part of the butt and half of the stock still exists. The barrel was offered at a carpark auction yesterday, but no-one exactly leapt at it.

Malcolm, thank you for pointing out this very interesting article. (I will not mention the overall odd translation which makes it hard to comprehend what the author is describing, unfortunately, or indeed the obvious editing mistakes.)

It is obvious in there that Kazuramaki is what I always thought it was. So, have we taken a step forward with this barrel, or not?

PS Yes, indeed, those white lines did have a purpose after all!
                  Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Working...
                  X