No announcement yet.

Bizen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I dropped in at the gunsmith's place and gave him a list (ranging from definite to optional) of what I would like done to this Bizen long gun. Now it is off my mind, and I have something to look forward to some time in the new year.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

I remember you telling me that your gunsmith works quickly so I’m sure you will get it within a week or two. Will be really interesting to see the end result.

Jan
      Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's hope so. I handed him two koshirae at the same time, and I know he has a stack of other bits to work through first. Although he has officially 'retired' from work for the big shops, he has kept on some of his private customers.

He looked a bit mystified that I would show so much concern for an ordinary Bisen hosozutsu! I had to explain why it was important to me.
        Last edited by Teppotai; 12-27-2019, 05:06 AM.

Those ”ordinary” Bizen are quite hard to come by, especially in decent condition. So the locals around there should be happy that you spend both time and no doubt some hard earned money in keeping it alive for future generations. I def need one

Jan
      Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Jan, he was telling me about visiting Marugame in Shikoku some years ago when he was shown one person's collection. There in the Kura among all the armour bits he was astonished to see a Bizen long gun in absolutely perfect condition. I wonder if it is still there.........!

• Jan Pettersson
        Jan Pettersson commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you should pop over to Marugame. If nothing else, at least they got a nice original castle

Jan

Tomorrow it should be on its way ‘home’ again. He has removed the striker plug from the serpentine pinch flaps (kept the offending object) and weakened the mainspring. The gun now looks as it did when it was first created in the Bizen community, before conversion to pill-lock. The mekugi pins all fit now. I was worried he might have to create new loops under the barrel as I could not place the front pin. He says the barrel just needed squeezing down under pressure into the slightly dried and tightened stock.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Jan Pettersson
        Jan Pettersson commented
        Editing a comment
        Exciting news! We are all waiting for pictures 🤓

Jan

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Spoke too soon. "Today's no good", he says. Will await instruction. He has been out of sorts recently, often catching colds, but he is 85 years old, so who's complaining?

Actually this gun was finished the other day, but when I tested it the lock needed further adjustment, and the guy was holding an open jar of One cup Ozeki, so I said I would leave it and pick it up when the two sword koshirae are ready. Mr O pushed for today, but I did have a sneaking suspicion that this might be too early.
        Last edited by Teppotai; 01-22-2020, 02:33 AM.

The good news is that he has finished the gun, and the remedial work on the two sword scabbards, and I was able to collect all three today. I feel ashamed for wondering if maybe I should go elsewhere in the future. He looked for a time as if things were too much for him, but he has done a really wonderful job with the swords.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Pictures 🙂🙂🙂
        Happy to hear that you a pleased with the swords. Always a tense wait when precious artifacts are away on some tlc.

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

Well, here is one typical Bizen Hosozutsu long gun, and it illustrates how these began from perhaps the 1830s (?) to be turned into an early pill-lock system from matchlock.

EB8E6924-02C5-4CC3-9292-4B6721E037D6.jpeg
          048A0EDA-9528-49DD-B23A-3301F8D80257.jpeg
          Last edited by Teppotai; 02-14-2020, 01:11 PM.
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Working...
          X