Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in translating inscription on Maedate

Hi all,

I have recently bought this Gumbai shaped maedate but I am not able to translate the inscription (not even with the help of my daughter that studies japanese). Can someone please help me solve this riddle? Thank you.
    Massimo
    This is the maedate This is a close up of the inscription

Hi Massimo, this should not be too hard, but it will take some time to research what it is alluding to, and I am just about to switch the lights off. Please allow us a little time to work on it for you.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Just to start things off - it involves 'history'
      Ian B
      Ian Bottomley - UK

Comment

As Ian says. Massimo, it is a name, Ayukai Naiki. 鮎貝内記 Look for the Sengoku Samurai 'Ayukai' family and which famous lord that they served.

I cannot find a record for Naiki. Perhaps he was a descendant in Edo. Both the left and the right of the character for ki are slightly 'wrong', making it difficult to look it up, as if they have been altered in some way. Possibly it was shameful to sell off family treasures...? For example, 己 on the right has been changed by one joining stroke to 巳, giving it Shinto purity, as if cleansing something. (?)
        Last edited by Teppotai; 01-07-2018, 01:40 AM.
        Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Doh!! I have been searching for the bottom Kanji and all I came up with was 記.

Cheers Piers
          Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

Thank you for the clues .
            Now I will start some research.
            You have been precious , as always!
            Cheers
            Massimo

Comment

Working...
            X