No announcement yet.

Matchlock Displays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats for being selected to next years Kobudosai. I know that this is a great honor. Well deserved, if you ask me.
    May I also repeat Mr O:s question with a slight alteration; Will you be there next October

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Inshallah, Jan.

• BD4D2161-78CF-4C36-8597-627354C6E5AC.jpeg
    Since the winter (and the wife) approaches I suddenly found myself this morning picking up bits of armour from around the front corridor. For the various matchlock displays here and there I was borrowing and interchanging parts from the guardian armour, and now it seemed time to rebuild everything back into a presentable set once more. The 冬将軍 Fuyu Shogun?

It now has the best pair of suneate, the second-best haidate, the best dou, the second-best kote, the best sode, my only nodowa and hanpo, and the third-best and last kabuto, with Shinto Gohei Maédaté.

Standing beside the set in the right hand is a shikibō swagger stick. In place of the trusty old wood bokuto, I have now inserted a splendid red wakizashi koshirae. Cherry on the cake?

A giant set of Buddhist beads lies diagonally across the dou, and a crystal prayer bracelet (not visible here) on the kote right wrist top it all off.
    Last edited by Teppotai; 11-26-2019, 06:51 AM.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice guardian in the entrance !

• Uwe
      Uwe commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m afraid, useless as an guardian.....he can’t see anything...🤭

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Uwe, this guardian sees everything...

• Do I spy another Haraegushi maedate on the rectangular plate to center right of frame?
    Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Good spot Malcolm! That’s the better of the two, lying on my Maédaté tray.
      Last edited by Teppotai; 11-26-2019, 06:52 AM.

• Good looking armour. Not every day you see an armour that is actually used.
    Is that a tall white ceramic heater for boiling water, on the left?

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Just went to check on the heater under the tetsubin and you are right. It's a pale green hibachi.

• Jan Pettersson
      Jan Pettersson commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you send a picture or two of it? It’s a Chinese-style heater meant to be used in a Sencha-ceremony. Very populari in Japan during the 19th century.

• Just let me go slightly off topic based on Piers picture above
    Here’s an interesting motif off an early 20th century scroll. It’s some sort of goblin serving the devil a cup of sencha.
    Notice the tall ceramic heater which was used to bring water to the boil. The goblin is fanning the coals inside whilst cups and other important things associated with the serving of sencha (brewed tea) is placed on the floor.

Jan
    Last edited by Jan Pettersson; 11-26-2019, 08:17 PM.
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• What a wonderfully humourous tea party!
      The photo you asked for, just a hibachi with no side furnace door.

26EBF17A-6BC4-47C1-B884-174B9764B96B.jpeg
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Love the glaze, looks like it's been dipped in thick glaze and then straight into the kiln, still dripping.
        Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

• Never seen that kind of ceramic hibachi before. The one used for sencha is not so wide and comes with a ventilation hole in the side.
          But I like the rough look

Jan
          Jan - Sweden

Comment

Working...
          X