• Show
Clear All

• What does the banner say?
    Sunday 20th October at Kibitsu Hiko Jinja

203C96B7-4ED7-462F-BC24-4ECF747EA629.jpeg
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• I leave the translation to someone more capable than me
      I just want to say that you together with the guy sporting the butterfly maedate, got the best kabuto ”bling” in the group.
      Nice lineup!

Jan
      Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Bling is a good word! Thanks!

• 奉祝天皇陛下御即位

I guess you celebrating the enthronement of the “new” emperor?!
      (struggling with some pronunciations, though )
      Last edited by Uwe; 10-23-2019, 10:03 PM.
      Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job, Üwé, yes.

• 奉祝 Hōshuku
      天皇陛下 Ten'nō Heika
      御 Go (Thanks to Piers )
      即位 Sokui

Something like "Celebration upon the enthonement of his Imperial Majesty the Emperor".
      Last edited by Malcolm; 10-25-2019, 05:16 AM.
      Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

• Teppotai
        Teppotai commented
        Editing a comment
        Malcolm, good to make your acquaintance. Are you making eastward movements? You and Uwe have done a splendid job.
        I suspect the honorific here is probably read Go-sokui.

• Nice photo! the jinbaori s out.!
      ​​​​​​.
      Laurent

Comment

• Good morning Piers,

I shall be in Japan on Monday.

I believe Dave T is also dropping anchor, if not already there.

御 Go being the honorific reading, that makes sense.

I had O, On, Go & Mi on the Imiwa database.

It calls it a Sonkeigo term

Thank you
        Last edited by Malcolm; 10-25-2019, 05:15 AM.
        Pip Pip Cheerio

Malcolm

Comment

• Teppotai
          Teppotai commented
          Editing a comment
          Have a great time!

• I just watched the clip from the Okayama-campaign two weeks ago. Some reflections
        Impressive kabuto worn by Mr O. That’s def a new toy. Also interesting to see him wearing a plain hanbo.
        Then there was a nice segment focusing on Piers loading his gun. Well done, my friend. You completed the task well ahead of your ”neighbours”. Like a true veteran of the line
        Also, your kabuto is worth a special mentioning. The large shell-maedate with the red ears, def demand some attention. Remember you were giving those ears some tlc over the summer.
        The only thing missing is a massive 100-Monme to finish off the campaign

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Thanks Jan. I am not sure which video you watched, *but I haven't seen it. Good spot on Mr O's kabuto, an unusual silver zogan black urushi eboshi-nari. The plain hanbo obviously makes more sense for him, with a hearing aid etc.

Today we are off to Ian Bottomley's castle town of Tsuyama. I am going with the black toppai and gold gohei once more, in honour of their shrine. I am driving, so I need to leave in a minute to collect another gunner in town first.

*Just had a quick look. You can also see my pistol misfired....
          Last edited by Teppotai; 10-27-2019, 01:33 AM.
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Well, that was Tsuyama, (see photos on HP) and then last Sunday we did Tokushima in Shikoku.

In Shikoku I decided on the tall toppai kabuto with a Hotategai golden scallop maedate and two Awabi abalone wakidate.
            The mornings are getting colder, so donning armour in a chilly shed can be testing. My Kumamoto Castle long gun is still having problems with misfire on the first broadside. I think it is a combination of packing the pan too tightly, and the matchcord which burns to the wrong shape. I keep tapping the matchcord and reshaping the tip, in the manner of a nervous cigarette smoker, hoping that that will help.

On a different note, we have a steady line of people wanting to join the teppotai. The problem is deciding whether they can be trusted to use gunpowder and fire a gun responsibly in public. Recently a Mr Y has been quite enthusiastic, but we have decided to keep him as a flag bearer until we can be sure of where his heart and mind are truly located. Rumour has it that he was high up in the Self Defense Forces before he retired, possibly even in intelligence. I like him, but looks can sometimes be deceiving. Hmmm...

This Sunday we will be providing background music for the Daimyo Gyoretsu procession through the old town of Yakage. Last year Anthony, Marjolijn, Kat and Jan were kind enough to drop by and help out. One of my kote strings snapped as we were lining up to leave the changing room, and Marjolijn did a fantastic on-the-spot nursing job of stitching me up, and it still holds today!
            Last edited by Teppotai; 11-07-2019, 04:49 AM.
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• During the old, long forgotten, campaigns on the European hemisphere, such helpful ladies were called “Marketenderin”!
              Thumbs up for Marjolijn 👍👍
              Uwe Sacklowski / Germany

Comment

• Teppotai
                Teppotai commented
                Editing a comment
                I did not know that, but it makes sense, Uwe. Many thanks, and yes, more thumbs up!

There must have been a host of such people. I do know that you could get your sword repaired or sharpened as there would be a smiths' workshop travelling with the army.

• Is it already one year ago since our visit to Yakage? That was a good day. And who can forget the proud flag-beater and his funny hat
              Yes, Marjolijn really sprung into action when your gear was coming undone. Neither approaching enemies or flying musket balls, would have stopped her. And in record time too.
              Hope to repeat something similar in October next year, when the viking long boat once again enters Japanese waters.

Jan
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
                Teppotai commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, you'll be welcome, but I hope that nothing else snaps!

Today our display went really well, and there was much warm, even enthusiastic applause from the crowds. The only misfire was Mr S, the guy next in line to me; his pistol clicked, and clicked, and clicked, each time repriming the pan and adjusting the match. Finally Mr D stepped over from his right and offered to swap match cords. For some reason that did the trick and the gun finally discharged itself with a healthy roar.

• Yesterday in the Martial Arts Hall, we were given a little booklet of photos taken by a photographer who followed us around this year. She has created and printed a separate little book for each gunner. Pretty pleased with mine, I was.

Despite the cold, we arrived at 7:30 am and started to change and prepare the kit.

As usual there, out of respect for the place, we were forbidden to wad the powder in any way. This means that once loaded, you cannot tip your gun on its side; the powder acts like water and simply runs down the barrel. You have to ram it home hard and hope it takes some sort of compacted shape in the breech chamber. This year we had a charming lady in the line, but she produced misfire after misfire. Again and again she was helped to top up the pan with priming powder, but fire it would not. We all thought that there was something mysteriously wrong with the gun. Later I watched a video clip and discovered that unconsciously she had tipped the barrel downwards momentarily. No wonder it would not fire. There was no powder left in the barrel. When Mr N our leader finally took the gun from her, and prepared everything anew, he fired, and it sort of went 'pfhuuuutttddd.........' and the crowd actually laughed. Oh dear.

This year I was again asked to help, but not to take part in the nine-member firing line. Instead, four of us were asked to blow long blasts from our Horagai triton shells for the opening and closing ceremonies in front of the assembly and the Prefectural Governor, the City Mayor, and various national and local diet representatives and other dignitaries.

The photographs from November, i.e. from Tsuyama, from Tokushima (Shikoku), and from Yakage Daimyo Procession are now up. I have stolen a couple for my personal album. https://teppoutai.com/t10.html

The final photographs for 2019 will soon show the Kobudosai shots from yesterday, and lastly from the 1st December, another event for the public to give them an opportunity to try some real armour on, and take photographs of themselves. I expect we will erect a table display of weaponry there too. The sword society will also be doing a display on the same day at the Hayashibara factory hall.
              Last edited by Teppotai; 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM.
              Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• 1DB76F45-D304-4592-92CD-56AF3D7BF919.jpeg
                Stolen shot at Yakage! 10th November 2019
                Last edited by Teppotai; 11-18-2019, 10:09 AM.
                Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Uwe
                  Uwe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eyes closed? That means your friend/foe detector is switched off.....🤭

• Teppotai
                  Teppotai commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Uwe, hmmm... it sure looks that way. As the gun fires there is a split second for the photographer to get the shot of the explosion. The blink reaction must be instinctive.

One time on the bridge in Shinjo three years ago I had forgotten to remove my glasses before battle. A 10-Monme just to the left and in front of me went off. An ember from his pan flew up and hit my left lens, leaving a permanent melt mark on it.

• Good one!!!
                Judging by the crowd, we had much warmer weather last year. I remember it was quite hot when we watched you guys firing your guns.

Jan
                Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Mr O paid me a compliment of sorts the other day. "Will you be here next November?" he asked.
                  "Yes, inshallah", I replied.
                  "Please take part in the Kobudosai line-up then. We had a sudden drop-out this year, after the participants names were listed and the martial arts booklets were printed; I need someone that can be trusted to actually turn up on the day."
                  This is a great honour to be asked to perform in front of the various Sensei and Martial Arts judges. It is also extremely stressful for a number of reasons. 'Nuff said.

Next week is our last event of the year. Hayashibara, the bio-genetics firm is hosting an open day for the public, partly sponsored by their Okayama Hayashibara Museum. Both the NBTHK sword society and the Teppotai matchlock group have been asked to help out. I will be with the guns and armour, not with the sword society, of which yours truly is also a member in semi-good standing. Yes, it is one of those 'dress-the-public-in-armour for your photograph' events!
                  Last edited by Teppotai; 11-24-2019, 10:36 AM.
                  Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Working...
                  X