No announcement yet.

Matchlock Displays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess this is one of the great dangers with firing these antique matchlocks. Even if you do an extensive check-up, you will not know for sure that everything is in working order before pulling the trigger. To do it in front of hundreds of people just adds to the drama.
    Hopefully your skilled gunsmith can help you out. Matchlocks from Kaga are rare, so this one deserves the best care.

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Teppotai
      Teppotai commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both of you for your understanding and positivity. This will be the second matchlock I have had to do this with in the last year. They get specially welded in some way at a local outfit that he uses.

There must be others out there that reached the end of their working life and fell into retirement with no-one giving it a second thought.

• BA93F066-FEC0-47A4-BE33-0EBA0F8BC619.jpeg Some more photos, etc.,
    https://akashitowns.com/event/2076/

https://kabegamiphoto.com/blog/%E6%9...0%B2%E9%9A%8A/
    Last edited by Teppotai; 06-18-2019, 12:39 PM.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• The Kaga gun went off yesterday for some remedial work. Luckily these people do not charge an arm and a leg, so it is acceptable pain to get this kind of work done.
      Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• I hope she will be well after a visit to the doctor. Perhaps he could fix that inlay for your shoe, while they’re at it

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

• Found this one from 16 June.
          https://twitter.com/i/status/1140184331085684736
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Belated follow-up on the Kaga gun.

At the beginning of July I had a phone call to say that the gun was ready. The gunsmith handed her over, assuring me that she is now ready to be safely fired once more.

He even went a step further for me. The amaooi, which he reckoned was too thin in cross-section anyway, had been soldered against the barrel by someone unaware of how it should have been attached. It had certainly looked good to the casual eye, though. He created a new amaooi, a thicker one, this time with the vital interlock structure integral to the piece, and pushed it in and wedged it properly into place. Much better. Many thanks to him and his understanding every time he adds his magic touch.
            (A little like the evening TV programme The Repair Shop on the BBC, if anyone can view reruns.)
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• David M
              David M commented
              Editing a comment
              Piers, did he say you could fire it ONCE more?

• Teppotai
              Teppotai commented
              Editing a comment
              Aaarrrggghhh.., ya got me David. I’ll have to double-check that!
          Working...
          X