Matchlock Displays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchlock Displays

(Following on from the old forum, but not sure where to post any continuation. Should this not be under 'Firearms'?)

This evening the Bishu Okayama Jo Teppotai in full armour will perform a matchlock live firing in semi-darkness at the Nippon Dai-Ichi Kumano Shrine south of Kurashiki.
    https://buraneta.com/en/neta.php?id=292

Tomorrow they will assemble at Okayama Castle, march through downtown, and do a live firing display up on the lawn in front of the main Tenshukaku.
    Last edited by Teppotai; 10-07-2017, 03:58 AM.
    Piers D - Japan / UK

Well, if anything says "the new forum is now alive and well" it must be the inaugural post about the Okayama Teppo-tai. The looong wait is finally over
    I'm leaning towards moving this thread so it can be attached to the firearms-section. But I'm sure Justin or Dave can do that in a heartbeat.
    So please continue to "fire away" with this weekends campaign here. And promise to take a picture of the splendid new kabuto worn by your Kaichu

Jan
    Jan - Sweden

Comment

Sunday's event on the front page of the local paper.
      http://www.sanyonews.jp/sp/photo/det...bbed012276.jpg

http://www.sanyonews.jp/sp/article/609338

Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Front page! That's what I call a return in style
        Its hard judging from that single picture, but are you wearing some new gear. Looks to be a lot of gold...

Jan
        Jan - Sweden

Comment

Hehe, yes, a new mixture. Mr K fired the 100 Monme this time and he is the featured shot on the Yomiuri local page. These videos are numbered 1 & 2, and seem to show almost everything unabridged, from someone behind and to the right.

No.1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ErUknzXlWE

No. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QlGyyBxi7w

As I am about to fire the 20 Monme, the announcer suddenly says, "the first shooter is from Igirisu".
          Last edited by Teppotai; 10-09-2017, 09:05 AM.
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

• Stevei
            Stevei commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow loved the videos Piers ... thanks for sharing ...

Let's see if this photo loads.
          Attached Files
          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Another size photo... from a small email. Wow, this seems much easier than I was expecting. What a relief!!!

Attached Files
            Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

Enjoyed the vids. Happy to see that your "ashigaru" seems to have improved. That's the longest sprint I've seen him do in years.
              Also good to finally see you back in full armor. Looks like you didn't miss a beat. The "Englishman" is back
              And finally, a real pro handling the 100-monme. Koike-san looked solid. He operated that beast with confidence. Please forward my appreciation to him.
              Oh, and Mr O displayed his most grandios kabuto. Well played!

Jan
              Jan - Sweden

Comment

Forgot one thing. What upgrade did you do on your equipment? Some added flashes of gold is quite noticeable.

Jan
                Jan - Sweden

Comment

Gold!
                  Starting with the kabuto, I wore a Momoyama/ Early Edo eight-plate suji toppai, black lacquer with gold hineno shikoro, and decided to add gold touches throughout to reflect the helmet. Thus the iron Shigami Maedate, contemporary, by Ichiro Fukutake with gold lacquer horns and fangs. The gyoyo are brass edged. (Gold colour)

The dove-breasted do is very light nerikawa, but the gesan/kusazuri are black lacquer to echo the kabuto, with golden brass metalwork. My Haidate is covered in lacquered gold squares of nerikawa, probably taken centuries ago from old horse armour. Finally I wore the gold lacquered sune-ate which I keep for special occasions.

Finally my secret golden touch, ssshhhh... the chain/link clasp fastening my jinbaori. Two little gold flintlock pistols, from a Napoleonic wars style Georgian cape.

Yesterday was within Okayama Castle, our home, and we were celebrating the life and banishment of Ukita Hideie. Everyone made an extra effort to put on a good show. There were few misfires under the blazing sun. I was planning to write something once my batteries are recharged, but today I have been cleaning equipment and eating nourishing food.
                  Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

I think you managed to present a very balanced outfit. Those golden flintlocks def added something something. I'm surprised Mr O didn't comment on them, being as they are not exactly Japanese
                    But it's good to see you back where you belong; in the midst of burning matchcords and ignited gunpowder.

Jan
                    Jan - Sweden

Comment

Lookin' sharp!
                      David Mueller - Germany

Comment

Here's some vids from Piers evening-campaign. The firebreathing matchlocks looks quite spectacular as the darkness sets.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...oqjD_Abtcmm_qr

Jan
                        Jan - Sweden

Comment

Saturday evening at Kumano Jinja, see Jan's link above.

Getting darker and darker. Very wet underfoot. Surprisingly good photography and sound! Some of the best so far!!! (We could hardly hear the speakers up on stage, they were all fuzzy and scrambled.)

The Mayor's deputy and two others were invited to take the Saihai and command the shots. Some took so long that we were ready to drop our guns. In the fire position the whole gun rests extended on your left arm and five or ten seconds takes you right to the limit of your strength.

The noisy watchers were down below us, so we were requested to fire diagonally left, not so good on the ears of your immediate neighbour.

In the slo-mo (section 3) there is an interesting shot of a hang-fire Chihatsu at about 3:15. The 50 Monme is pretty spectacular, step by step as the flame progresses. By the time of the final volley we could see nothing and hear nothing clearly, so the waved Saihai accomplished little in the way of coordination!
                          Last edited by Teppotai; 10-20-2017, 08:06 AM.
                          Piers D - Japan / UK

Comment

During the next couple of days, the Reenactment-thread from the old forum will be transfered on to this platform. Please don't post any comments whilst this process is ongoing.
                            I will give you all a green light when it's done.

Admin-crew
                            FUDO MYO . This is an admin account used for transferring threads from the former Samurai Armour Forum

Comment

Working...
                            X